Diberdayakan oleh Blogger.

I tried to reach for you but you have closed your mind






















So it's well and truly March now. I still feel like it's only the start of the year, as if there's still so much time ahead of me...and then at the same time, New Year feels like a lifetime ago. Strange.
This week has been particularly spring-like, and each morning I've been surprised to wake up to a blue sky outside, and even had the pleasure of seeing a double rainbow arch over my back garden on Monday afternoon. I'm still not convinced though...English weather is so unpredictable, I wouldn't really be surprised if it snowed tomorrow.

























On Sunday I took an early morning trip down to the Whitechapel Gallery to see the Hannah Höch exhibition. I'm studying her collages in my current art project, and was happily surprised to see so much of her work on display. I'm a huge fan of her Dada work, however the more abstract collages she put together after the war are just as intricate and relevant as her previous, more famous compositions. Not only does she manage to create aesthetically pleasing, attractive pieces of art, but each collage is so carefully planned, so carefully developed so that it fully translates it's intended meaning. You can't help but admire her nerve and resolute feeling; living in Germany under Hitler's brutal regime, she still continued to create pieces looking at subjects such as sexism, racism, and even same-sex and multiracial relationships, even though they were not publicly exhibited. She had such strong opinions on such issues, and was way ahead of her time with her forward thinking and fair minded attitude.





I wore a shirt and shoes from Clothes Show, tights and socks from Topshop, bag from Rokit, and badge from Noa Noa. My jumper was hand-knitted for me by my Nan when I was about four or five years old...I recently found a whole box of my baby jumpers and cardigans that she knitted for me, and surprisingly I still fit in a lot of them (it just shows how much I've grown). It is the best way to find the perfect cropped jumper though...just shop in the kids section if you don't have any of your own. They are the perfect length to wear with high-waisted jeans or shorts. My dungaree-dress is from a stall in Camden Passage in Islington.







The Gallery itself was really gorgeous, and although quite small and quite well camouflaged, it contains a really interesting and well-picked selection of works, a fantastic book store and the loveliest cafe, which is perfect for breakfast, lunch or a post-exhibition coffee and cake. I can say from experience that their hot chocolate is amazing.
























I hope you all have a good weekend...mine is now looking considerably brighter, as I've literally just finished and handed in my final garment for Textiles, so I won't have to sit up sewing all night again. I complain, but it was kind of fun really. Hugs

ellie xo
Share on :
I tried to reach for you but you have closed your mind
I tried to reach for you but you have closed your mind
Reviewed by lisa bela
Published :
Rating : 4.5

Tidak ada komentar:

Posting Komentar